Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For fear to be a King.


"We never know how high we are,
Till we are called to rise;
And then, if we are true to plan,
Our statures touch the skies,

The Heroism we recite,
Would be a daily thing,
Did not ourselves the Cubits warp,
For fear to be a King."

- Emily Dickinson.

I chose this short poem, one of Emily Dickinson's few published works, as a quote to represent my personality. One of the most important lessons I have learned from life, and indeed what the first part of the poem implies, is that you can never know how good you are, or how much you can achieve, unless you try, or are faced with a situation that tests you in some way. It also mentions how if you're true to what you believe in, and keep your principles with you, you can really achieve something amazing. I have experienced this at various points in my life, and think it is a wonderful lesson to be taught. The quote also speaks of how we are always too afraid to reach our potential, fearing it may overshadow another or appear egotistical. I've also learnt this lesson from my experiences. You can never be afraid to do well at something, or be yourself. You have to take life as it comes. This is also portrayed in my picture. It shows how life is going to be rough at some times, joyful at others. This image shows that no matter what life hands you, you must embrace it fully and whole-heartedly.

1 comment:

  1. Shimara, your blog is nicely set up. I like the fact you chose a poem and your reflection shows good understanding of it. You need to make sure you answer the task asked though. I feel you have not really explained how this quote represents you as well as you can.

    ReplyDelete